Monday, February 01, 2010

Backpack

Lucy started pre-school today so over the holidays I thought I would make her a backpack following along with a few friends who have made them too. I really enjoyed making this especially the piping although I'm not 100% happy with the straps but I think in hindsight I didn't have the right adjuster.
I used a laminated cotton which was great to sew with. I didn't interface it and it stands up by itself but I think I would like it a bit stiffer so would definitely interface next time.(and yes the back fabric is upside down!)

Last night I had to whip Lucy up a hat because she left hers at a friend's house yesterday. I used an apple canvas I got from Home Ec last year which I love although apparently Lucy doesn't like green so she has asked for another one.

15 comments:

Kylie said...

Oh - kids that have opinions - LOL - we really are breading nightmares aren't we cass - Creative children that they are!

Love the backpack and the hat - well done:)

Karin van Dam said...

Too bad she doesn't like green. I think it's adorable on her! Cute backpack too.

Rachel said...

Ooh that hat is so cute... how dare she not like it. And it suits her hair so well. My son had the hide to ask me for a bob the builder the hat the other day.
The back pack looks great, were did you get the adjusters from?

Jodie said...

Your backpack looks awesome - love that fabric...

Karen said...

I've been stalking you for the backpack photos!! Well worth the wait too.
I love that fabric Cass and am glad to hear the laminated cotton sewed well, I might venture there this year for coats.
I love the hat!

Unknown said...

Cute bag and hat! What is laminated cotton like to sew with? I haven't been there yet.

SadieandLance said...

Hey I've got a backpack post queued up too! Yours is way better than mine. Did you follow a pattern or just go with feel?

Little Munchkins said...

I adore that backpack! I have always loved that Paula Prass fabric and the backpack looks great.

The hat looks adorable - maybe tell Lucy we all said that and she might change her mind?

Lexi:: PottyMouthMama said...

I love that you can just churn out a hat- and a backpack! Go you. Both are super cute. Very clever lady.

bee-abi said...

Oh what a shame. I love it and green is my favourite colour!

Tania said...

We had an "I love green!" day closely followed, within the same week, by "green is the worst colour in the whole entire world to the moon an back." Hmn.

Chookyblue...... said...

nice backpack and hat.......shame she doesn't like green........

Kylie said...

Awwww! I think the little green apple hat is divine. I just know my Cameron is going to be a girl with lots of attitude in the future. She already seems to have opinions to share even though she doesn't talk yet!!
That backpack is too sweet. Well done and thanks for your advice re: madeit!

Claire - Craft Schmaft said...

OH I love the hat!! You ladies are all setting the bar very high with you backpack making... oh the pressure!

renee willemsen said...

do you have a pattern for this hat? it is adorable. i would love to make one for my daughter.